Interesting People mailing list archives

query on Joe Job

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:56:03 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dana Blankenhorn <danablankenhorn () mindspring com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:32:55 -0400
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] I sent out re a message from galler thatseemed to be an IP
message DID NOT impact the IP mailing list in any way

I got this message too, Dave, and it looks like a typical "Joe Job" spam.

I have been the victim of this too. I have had my name listed as the "from"
address in messages containing viruses. I have had my name listed as the
"from" address in spam. So far my ISPs have been clever enough to
distinguish this stuff from me -- I haven't been called on these spams. But
I don't know how long that will continue to be the case.

This list is well-known in the community. It has credibility. Messages with
this return address are opened routinely, by important people. So it is
natural that someone would pull a "Joe Job" on the list.

For the last several months I've noticed more and more spams that don't have
any return addresses at all -- let alone fake ones. This makes them
impossible to blacklist.

So we have two mean technical problems here -- Joe Jobs and untraceable
spam. I think the question should be put to the group. What's the solution?

Dana Blankenhorn   dana () a-clue com
The Blankenhorn Effect  http://www.trafford.com/robots/02-1082.html
Subscribe to A-Clue.Com  http://www.a-clue.com
Visit my Moores Lore blog at  http://www.corante.com/mooreslore