Interesting People mailing list archives

Encryption Scare

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 14:05:49 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Meeks, Brock (MSNBCi) <Brock.Meeks () MSNBC COM>
To: 'dave () farber net' <dave () farber net>
Subject: Encryption Scare
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 09:21:05 -0800

Dave,

Our intelligence and law enforcement officials constantly beat the drum that encryption must be controlled; that it is the hands of criminals, child
abusers and of course, terrorists.

We are told, again by these folks, that terrorists are actively using
encryption technologies to thwart capture and detection. Odd that we have
seen no direct evidence of this use of technology save some anecdotes
bubbling up from the Louis Freeh-era FBI vis-à-vis "encryption on laptops"
confiscated from some terrorist bust.

So with the news of the high profile arrest over the weekend of Khalid Shaik Mohammed and a captured "treasure trove" of information on computers and
computer disks we STILL have not seen any evidence of encryption.

Indeed, there are leaks already about what was or is on those computers: plans for more terrorist attacks, all data accessible without having to
break any encryption scheme.
--farber