Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Does File Trading Fund Terrorism?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:14:16 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Joseph C. Pistritto" <jcp () jcphome com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:03:50 -0800
To: dave () farber net
Cc: sob () harvard edu
Subject: **SPAM** Re: [IP] 2 on Does File Trading Fund Terrorism?

i think they're talking about pay-for-membership file trading networks.  I
know my kids (teenagers) have said that some of their friends get stuff off
of some sites like this that trade stuff like cracks for video games and
such.  I dont think this has much to do with peer to peer, most of the
things they mention seem to just be websites (usually located outside the
USA).  I think some of the "new" music and games is also distributed this
way (increasingly stuff that isnt in distribution yet, becuase anything in
distribution is free fairly quickly.  I was hearing about a game that wasnt
even released yet that was "out" through one of these networks just a couple
days ago).

the reference to helping terrorists is clearly opportunism on the part of
some enterprise industry marketing types.  This goes under the general topic
of "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

   -jcp-

------ End of Forwarded Message