Interesting People mailing list archives

"Information Technology for Counterterrorism: Immediate Actions and Future Possibilities",

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 19:17:00 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 17:57:20 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Govt Comp.News - Assessing "cyberterror" - couldn't find
any!

About a year ago, I started looking for examples of cyber-terrorism,
where hackers had shut down critical infrastuctures. I was surprised to
discover that I couldn't find any, so I began to look more closely at
the hypothetical scenarios involving cyber war. Most of them turned out
to be implausible from a military or national security perspective.

Let me direct folks to a new National Academies report, "Information
Technology for Counterterrorism: Immediate Actions and Future
Possibilities",
http://www7.nationalacademies.org/cstb/pub_counterterrorism.html
(It's an expanded version of the IT chapter of "Information Technology
for Counterterrorism: Immediate Actions and Future Possibilities".)
We concluded that a purely cyber, catastrophic terror incident was
improbable.

------ End of Forwarded Message