Interesting People mailing list archives

Scalia says "Most of the right that you enjoy go way beyond [...] the Constitution"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 06:38:23 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Scott Alexander <salex () dsl cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 06:32:42 -0500
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Scalia says "Most of the right that you enjoy go way beyond [...]
the Constitution"

I'm sure this will show up at other AP sites later.  I found it at
http://www.nandotimes.com/nation/story/814367p-5777643c.html .  Combined
with the notion that NJ plans to pretty much lock everything down and
assume anyone not sitting quietly at home is a terrorist in case of a
Red Alert (http://www.injersey.com/gsbr/story/0,21421,706996,00.html ),
it seems like things are poised to get worst.

Scott

Nation: Justice Scalia says war justifies rights' recess

UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Ohio (March 18, 2003 11:06 p.m. EST) - The
government has room to scale back individual rights during wartime
without violating the Constitution, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
said Tuesday.

"The Constitution just sets minimums," Scalia said after a speech at
John Carroll University in suburban Cleveland. "Most of the rights that
you enjoy go way beyond what the Constitution requires."

[...]

Scalia did not discuss what rights he believed are constitutionally
protected, but said that in wartime, one can expect "the protections
will be ratcheted right down to the constitutional minimum. I won't let
it go beyond the constitutional minimum."

[...[

------ End of Forwarded Message