Interesting People mailing list archives

Government of Canada believes ALL Canadians are pirates

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 15:00:08 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: lee () string org
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:16:26 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Government of Canada believes ALL Canadians are pirates

It appears that the government assumes that we are all copying music, movies
and software.  As Canadians we are taxed on any blank media we purchase to
pay royalties to the artists' we have ripped off, even if we are just using
the media for 'legitimate' purposes.  Now the recording companies want more
'money for nothing'.

I tend to agree with the artist Illiad when he says:
"Canadians may as well pirate music and software wholesale -- after all,
they want us to pay for it as if we already have." (www.userfriendly.org)

http://www.hp.ca/corporate/pressreleases/pressrelease.php?fileId=746

<snip>

Today, a typical 100-pack of blank CDs includes a levy of $21 on a retail
price that can be as low as $50. If the music industry collective’s proposal
is approved, this levy could skyrocket by 181 percent to $59 per pack,
leading to a retail price of at least $88 plus tax. The levy could even be
extended in the future to substantially increase the price of personal
computers, television set-top boxes, mobile phones, PDAs and other hand-held
devices, and personal video recorders.

<snip>

Lee

Lee Elliott
lee () string org

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within
what you are trying to defend from without."
Eisenhower, Dwight D.

------ End of Forwarded Message