Interesting People mailing list archives

well said comment on editorial comment

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 14:43:37 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 14:08:18 -0500
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] editorial comment

There is a difference. [ as I said djf]

For example, I am anti-Administration. I didn't vote for Bush, nor do I
support many of his policies or trust many of the folks in the current
Administration.  That doesn't make me anti-American.

Being anti-Administration means you disagree with the policies of the
elected (or "appointed") leadership in America. That's your right as an
American citizen and member of the voting public. You may not agree with
everything, but you go with the flow from election-to-election, and are
happy living in the culture that American ideals provide. (This goes back to
the whole why-public-dissent-is-good-for-America argument. Dissent isn't
treason, it's part of the democratic ideals we purportedly cherish.)

However, being anti-American means you disagree with the principles of what
America stands for - individual freedom, economic freedom, etc, etc, etc and
want to see something else in its place. While it's your right to express
such views as an American citizen, if you stay a citizen, that (to me)
implies your consent to abide by the ideals and processes that make America
America. Otherwise you should rescind your American citizenship and move to
the country of your choice to live.

The mature person is able to acknowledge ALL sides of the issue, even if
they have a personal preference. In your case, Dave, you've run a wide range
of feelings on the Iraq issue. You don't pick and choose sides, but you
acknowledge them and allow readers to make their own minds up on what to
believe. That's how it should be, but the media and government spokespeople
want - for commercial or political purposes respectively - to control every
message that gets widespread visibility to minimize unpopular information,
even if that information is based in reality and not the preferred blind
allegiance or patriotism. That, in turn, creates the national environment
and current American groupthink that has those narrow-minded Sheeple calling
anyone not 100% behind the President "anti-American."

If anything, the post-0911 America would make a stunning PhD project looking
at perception management and methods of creating tigher forms of social and
thought control.

Rick
Infowarrior.org

On 3/29/03 12:30, "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net> furiously scribbled :

I get some mail that says I have been to "anti-American". I think the more
direct question is whether or not I have been "anti-administration". I have
tried to not be but the dominance of the non fluff material I see tends to
be anti-administration.  I welcome other points of view and will send it to
the list when they are appropriate.

Here is one that is certainly pro.

The Snoofmadrune weblog
http://www.clicknation.com/snoof