Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Electronic Voting - Is it safe?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 14:00:07 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "brent.hunsaker () earthlink net" <brent.hunsaker () earthlink net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 08:27:03 -0600 (MDT)
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Electronic Voting - Is it safe?

David,

I was invited last March to the display of 10 electronic voting systems here
in Utah. I found that non of them provided hardcopy of each voter's
selections. Some do provide a summary of votes cast by those using the
machine, thought not all. But there is other problems as well.

Most designers have not taken into consideration the enviromental
requirements that their systems need to go into to properly function. I am
not talking able the temp. or humidity, but the human factor of voting data
control and security. It will take about another two versions of voting
systems to iron out the problems that will crop up during the next two
voting periods.

Some uses memory modules to store the transportable data. Non of the systems
I saw visually serialized these modules to effectively control and track
them by the local judges. The potential for lose is too great.

Other systems you must transport the machine itself to obtain the voting
data and most of them were in excess of 50lbs. Most voting judges are women
who cannot carry these machines. I heard many comments by the voting judges
here that this would be a problem.

One system was setup on wireless network to communicate the voting results.
Security is a concern here. Another was a networked voting system that used
dumb terminals for the voting creating a potential for failure at the
centeral processing unit, which would shut down the voting in a given poling
place.

Every system addressed some of the problems but not all the problems
associated with voting. Having a hardcopy of each voter is only the start.

Brent Hunsaker

Original message attached.

------ End of Forwarded Message