Interesting People mailing list archives

Tiny article is huge news in Mideast

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 18:09:36 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bruce Krulwich <krulwich () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:02:56 -0700 (PDT)
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Tiny article is huge news in Mideast

Dave,

For whatever it's worth, I think that the following small news article is
the
biggest development in the Mideast in a very long time.  It's the first sign
yet that Palestinians see that their best interests are being hurt by the
intifada.

--Bruce

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030520/ap_on_re_mi_ea/is
rael_palestinians_390

Angry Palestinians Lash Out at Militants
2 hours, 20 minutes ago

By IBRAHIM BARZAK, Associated Press Writer

BEIT HANOUN, Gaza Strip - Hundreds of Palestinians demonstrated Tuesday
after
a five-day Israeli invasion damaged farms and buildings, but in a rare
twist,
their wrath was directed at Palestinian militants for inviting the attack by
firing rockets from their property.

Two hours after Israeli troops left, about 600 angry residents of the town
of
35,000 took to the streets in a spontaneous protest, complaining that the
militants had caused Israel to destroy 15 houses and uproot thousands of
olive, citrus and date palm trees. It was a rare outburst; most Palestinian
demonstrations are aimed at Israel.

 "They (the militants) claim they are heroes," said Mohammed Zaaneen, 30, a
farmer, as he carried rocks into the street. "They brought us only
destruction
and made us homeless. They used our farms, our houses and our children ...
hide."

http://search.yahoo.com

------ End of Forwarded Message