Interesting People mailing list archives

Pittsburgh bids farewell to Fred Rogers with moving public tribute

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 14:31:21 -0400

http://www.post-gazette.com/localnews/20030504rogers0504p1.asp

There, near the stage of Heinz Hall, was a friend of a half-century cradling
Rogers' infant grandson, sleeping peacefully despite the 2,700 people
slipping out of the sun into the cool concert hall. In the lobby were
suede-covered books and colored pencils for friends to write or draw
messages, such as the one under a rainbow of hearts: "I hope you are happy
in heaven. I love you." It was signed Juliana.

On stage yesterday afternoon was surprise guest, violinist Itzhak Perlman,
who played a gavotte by Bach in memory of Rogers. On video, in a red
sweater, was cellist Yo-Yo Ma, who is overseas on a concert tour but
recalled his first meeting with Rogers and performed two musical favorites.
One was Rogers' "Tree, Tree, Tree." Also performing was organist Alan
Morrison, a second-generation musician whose mother, Jeannine Morrison, met
Fred and Joanne Rogers at Rollins College.

<snip>