Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Fighting spam: raise the bridge or lower the water?[risks] Risks Digest 22.92

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 09:12:41 -0400

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 01:46:21 -0400
From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19 () bobf frankston com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Fighting spam: raise the bridge or lower the water?[risks]
 Risks Digest 22.92
Sender: Bob Frankston <rmfxixB () bobf frankston com>
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com

This is a mild form of what I've been advocating.

It's worth noting that we wouldn't be in such need of a "do not call bill"
if you could indeed use Caller-ID. The problem with the phone network is
that it is not end-to-end and thus you cannot implement caller ID yourself
and thus must rely on the Telco's version which just tells you who pays the
bills.

I've long ago advocated letting the user just send any string. If you get a
phone that supports end-to-end caller-ID signaling then you could start to
require caller-ID. While the PSTN won't be able to do this it is a better
reason to go to VoIP and SIP than just saving money -- it is about saving
time.

Letting people do their own strings, of course, makes spoofing irresistible
though one can treat it as fraud.

To make this effective one would be able to give other's keys (digital, of
course) that give priority access. It's but a short step to the use of
capabilities.

White lists, in themselves, are too easily defeated and don't deal with
creative use of email addresses. Here too you can use an active form of the
white list in terms of a capability token.

The real point is not so much the specific solution as the contrast between
phone system thinking and waiting for the smart middle to save us (or, else
Congress will fix it but good) and the Internet where we need solutions at
the edges. The spam solutions are still too much PSTN-like but I expect
people will learn over time that having a level of indirection can give them
control.

After all, the PSTN itself is becoming IP-based. Just a few leaks between
the PSTN VoIP world and the rest and, well, my current image is of the ice
dam that broke and let the sea in Canada carve out the formations in the US
Northwest during the last ice age.