Interesting People mailing list archives

Cringely responds to "Microsoft responds to Cringely" article

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 15:26:59 -0400

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:25:12 -0400
From: Peter Sahlstrom <peter () stormlash net>
Subject: Cringely responds to "Microsoft responds to Cringely" article
To: dave () farber net

Dave,

I forwarded Rich Lappenbusch's "Microsoft responds to Cringely article" message to Robert Cringely yesterday. He was kind enough to provide a rebuttal (attached below), and to include a copy of the courtroom transcript of the motions hearing. The transcript is posted on my website at http://peter.stormlash.net/documents/8-26MICR.TXT. Having read the article in question, Lappenbusch's rebuttal, the courtroom transcript, and much of the other press on the issue, I now offer my own perceptions on the article, and on the case:

As I read Lappenbusch's letter, I see five primary points against the Cringely article, along with assorted semi-relevant material (which includes discussion of Microsoft's pressures as a large company, their perceived unfairness of Cringely's article, and criticism of Cringely's methods).

Point 1 (paragraph 4): "Cringely inexplicably claims that [the court hearing] was the first public hearing in the case, which is simply false". Cringely states in his original article, "This was, to the best of my knowledge, the first public hearing in the case". I do not have the resources to determine who is accurate; but given that Cringely offers this as being "to the best of [his] knowledge", it's understandable that this could be in error. In any case, whether or not this is the first public hearing is not particularly relevant to the rest of Cringely's (or Lappenbusch's) arguments.

Point 2 (paragraph 5): Lappenbuch criticizes Cringely for not verifying his facts. According to Cringely's attached response, Microsoft was given an opportunity to respond, but did not. If Microsoft had responded promptly, perhaps their complaints could have been straightened out prior to publication, as opposed to now, 2.5 weeks after the article's publication. In any case, saying "It's unfortunate that Cringely did not check with Microsoft on any of the facts related to this proceeding or cross-check his understanding of what transpired..." is not really fair, or accurate.

Point 3 (paragraphs 5-6): Microsoft did not deliberately withhold or improperly destroy e-mails. This is just an echo of the courtroom issue, so I won't spend much time on it: refer to the transcript to see the merits of either side. But here's the issue as I see it. In the transcript, Burst claims that there is a conspicuous amount of e-mail missing (both in the form of messages that Burst possesses, but that Microsoft did not provide; and in messages that *should* have triggered a large Microsoft response, but didn't). Microsoft says that they already provided plenty of information, that the process of attempting to recover messages will take too long, and that, if messages were archived on a particular server (against Microsoft's instructions to employees on archiving e-mails), they won't be recoverable, anyway. As I see it, the potential importance of these messages is enough to warrant a search of the backup tapes. Whether or not the messages will be recoverable is a different matter, but one thing is clear: given that Microsoft has received requests previously for messages to be retrieved from the backups, it seems as though it would behoove them to develop a more efficient backup catalogue. If a non-profit organization like the Internet Archive can archive over 300 terabytes of information while still keeping it searchable over the web, it would seem as though the world's largest software company could at least make it through their backup archive in less than one million man-hours.

Point 4 (paragraph 6): "Cringely's claim that Microsoft produced 'literally no' Burst-related e-mail for a supposedly key 35-week period is completely false". I have no means to verify or dispute Cringely's statement on this: according to Cringely's message below, the 35 week figure comes from Burst's legal brief (which I have not seen). So I will refrain from judgment on this issue.

Point 5 (paragraph 9): Lappenbusch criticizes Cringely's claim that Microsoft is withholding information as "privileged attorney-client communications", saying that "nothing about Microsoft's claims to attorney-client privilege was ever mentioned at the hearing or in the court papers filed beforehand". Given that Cringely states that "It never got around to the other Burst complaint about discovery, that Microsoft was withholding some messages as privileged attorney-client communications", this shouldn't be surprising.

So, in summary: There may be errors in Cringely's article (or, there may not be), but in spite of this uncertainty, I think it makes some very strong points. Moreover, despite its length, and its strong criticisms, Lappenbusch's response is surprisingly scarce on facts, and strikes me as more of a press release than a rebuttal.

Anyway, here's Robert Cringely's response:

-Peter Sahlstrom
peter () stormlash net
http://peter.stormlash.net

Begin forwarded message: