Interesting People mailing list archives

ietf sample comm Verisign: All Your ...

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:45:17 -0400

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:41:59 -0700
From: bill <bill () strahm net>
Subject: RE: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...
Sender: owner-ietf () ietf org
To: ietf () ietf org

Depends on if you have wildcarded MX records as well too.

The mail might never bounce.  Who is to say a clever spammer wouldn't
setup a wildcarded series of MX records to point to their own SMTP
servers, and harvest the FROM/REPLY TO addresses and place them in to
their spam lists. (obviously the TO field is wrong, since it's domain
bounced - however I wonder if you could take the @part.com and look for
valid domains that come close to matching and add THOSE TO: fields to
the spam directory)

An even WORSE difference in behavior (plus you aren't notified that your
mail didn't make it to where you thought it was going)

Bill