Interesting People mailing list archives

Anonymizer for Iran

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 07:56:00 -0400

Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:55:44 +0530
From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () hserus net>
Subject: Anonymizer for Iran
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

Did anybody note the "bulk emails gathered from human rights groups and other sources" part? Just how, precisely are these addresses being gathered, and does anonymizer.com's ISP have an AUP of some sort? :)

        srs

The Register

US sponsors Anonymiser - if you live in Iran
By Kevin Poulsen, SecurityFocus

A pact between the U.S. government and the electronic privacy company
Anonymizer, Inc. is making the Internet a safer place for controversial
websites and subversive opinions -- if you're Iranian.

This month Anonymizer began providing Iranians with free access to a Web
proxy service designed to circumvent their government's online censorship
efforts. In May, government ministers issued a blacklist of 15,000
forbidden "immoral" websites that ISPs in the country must block --
reportedly a mix of adult sites and political news and information outlets.
An estimated two million Iranians have Internet access.

Among the banned sites are the website for the U.S.-funded Voice of America
broadcast service, and the site for Radio Farda, another U.S. station that
beams Iranian youth a mix of pop music and westernized news. Both stations
are run by the International Broadcasting Bureau (IBB), the U.S.
government's overseas news and propaganda arm.

The U.S. responded to the filtering this month by paying Anonymizer
(neither the IBB nor Anonymizer will disclose how much) to create and
maintain a special version of the Anonymizer proxy which only accepts
connections from Iran's IP address space, and features instructions inFarsi.

The deliberately generic-sounding URLs for the service are publicized over
Radio Farda broadcasts and through bulk e-mails that Anonymizer sends to
addresses in the country. The addresses are provided by human rights groups
and other sources, says Anonymizer president Lance Cottrell.

"We're providing a system whereby the people in the countries that are
suffering Internet censorship can bypass the government filtering and
access all the pages that are blocked," says Cottrell.

The services' navigation boxes default to Radio Farda or Voice of America,
but surfers are invited to put in any address they like, and browse free of
the Iranian government's filtering.

"Dissident sites, religious sites, the L.L. Bean catalog -- we point them
to the Voice of America site, but they can go anywhere," says Ken Berman,
program manager for Internet anticensorship at the IBB, "They're free
explore the Internet in an unfettered fashion."

Mostly unfettered. Like the Iranian filters, the U.S. service blocks porn
sites -- "There's a limit to what taxpayers should pay for," says Berman.
But the United States' hope is that a freer flow of online information will
improve America's image in the Arab world. The service is similar to one
Anonymizer provided to Chinese citizens under a previous government
contract that ran-out ended earlier this year.

Cottrell and Berman agree that it's only a matter of time before the
Iranonymity service winds on the official blacklist. But Berman hints that
the U.S. is ready for a prolonged electronic shell game with Tehran. "In
China we're continually monitoring the state of the proxy, and when we see
the traffic drop off, we change the proxy's address, usually within 24
hours," says Berman. "In Iran, we're prepared to change the proxy address
every day if necessary."

A bill that passed the U.S. House of Representatives last month would
create an Office of Global Internet Freedom that would have up to a $50
million annual budget to help citizens of foreign repressive governments
skirt Internet censorship.

Copyright © 2003,