Interesting People mailing list archives

Sony teaches Aibo new tricks

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 12:42:53 -0400

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 02:22:33 -0700
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note: We own one of the first gen Aibos [me also djf]. This product family rocks! Being wireless enabled presents for some interesting possibilities of what this toy could do in the home. DLH]

Sony teaches Aibo new tricks
By Dinesh C. Sharma
Special to CNET News.com
September 4, 2003, 11:07 AM PT
<http://news.com.com/2100-1041-5071396.html >

Sony Electronics has bred the third generation of its Aibo robotic dog to be faster, smarter--and floppy-eared.

The company's Entertainment Robot America division on Thursday announced that the ERS-7 model of Aibo is more responsive to voice and touch commands than are previous models. And with improved infrared sensors, it is better able to avoid walls, obstacles and edges. The digital pup also features a faster CPU (central processing unit), a higher-resolution camera and twice as much memory as have its predecessors.

Since its introduction in 1999, the Aibo breed has been regularly gaining new features and functions. In May, for instance, Sony released Aibo Eyes software that enables the high-tech pet to send digital photos to a PC or e-mail-equipped device.

The ERS-7 can understand nearly 180 voice commands and, using visual-pattern recognition technology, can find its Energy Station and recharge itself when its battery runs low, the company said. It also features Illume-Face, an LED (light-emitting diode) face panel that lets it better express its feelings, emotions and current conditions.

"This latest generation design is a result of significant evolutionary advancements in robotic hardware and software, as well as our analysis of what people want most in an Entertainment Robot," Victor Matsuda, ERA's vice president, said in statement.

The new model, which includes a 32MB Memory Stick, an Energy Station to recharge its battery and wireless LAN (local area network) software, will be be available at retail and online in November, priced at $1,599.

In addition, software updates due later this year will let owners add new content via the Web to their dog's Mind Memory Stick.

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>