Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Losing Our Edge?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:38:37 -0400

From: brent.hunsaker () ngc com

In all of this we have not focused on the US citizen getting a high-tech education in the US. Are the only ones that we are concerned about is the foreign student?

Over the last 3 years the US educated US engineer has struggled finding a job. Having worked with IEEE-USA and some professors in Utah I am seeing many graduates go begging for work. In the comments below the real issues are identified. Reduced costs to the company in paying little or no benefits and tax shelters.

Or have we Americans become non-entities. Lets start thinking about attracting more US citizens into the high-tech field by providing well paying jobs. The "new jobs" the new economy is suppose to produce with manufacturing jobs going off-shore. We have the education system to produce them.

Thanks,
Brent