Interesting People mailing list archives

**** April Fools Edition**** Moving on

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:45:24 -0500

**** April Fools Edition****

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 07:32:24 -0500
From: Avi Rubin <rubin () jhu edu>
Subject: Moving on
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

**** April Fools Edition****

As many of you know, this past year my career took an unexpected turn, as I become embroiled in the issue of the security of electronic voting. While initially, I was very happy with my move from AT&T Labs to academia last year, I now think that this is not the place for me to carry out my new mission to protect democracy. So, as of May 1, 2004, I will be leaving Johns Hopkins and taking on a new position where I feel I will be best able to make a difference. You may be surprised to hear this, but after several weeks of intense and secret negotiations, I am going to join Diebold as their Chief Security Officer. I know that many of you may feel that I have "sold out" by doing this, but please hear me out. Yes, the salary is astronomical, and yes, I will no longer be able to say what I really think about the insecurity of their machines, but there's more to it than that. Think of the possibilities of my new position. I will have the ability to almost single-handedly pick our next President. However, paperless and fully electronic DREs are only the beginning. What about paperless ATMs? As Diebold CSO, I will be able to help them design ATMs that not only do not carry receipts, but that also do not dispense money. Instead, we can reuse the smartcards from the voting systems and dispense electronic cash. Without the need for paper money and paper receipts, the machines would never need to be serviced, thus saving both in convenience and money. I think that in my new role at Diebold, I will be able to help them branch out into other businesses. I would like to get them into the paperless lottery business. Think of the convenience that would bring. No more waiting in line to buy lottery tickets, they could just be downloaded from the Internet and stored on USB dongles. Sure, it is true that it would be very hard to actually verify who the winners are, and forgery of lottery numbers would be trivial, but don't be a luddite, electronic systems are the wave of the future, and we want to be on the cutting edge. Besides, in our marketing tests, people LOVED these paperless lotteries and cashless ATMS.

Another thing I really like about my new position at Diebold is that I believe they are one of the best companies at turning prototypes into production systems. The secret that they (or should I now say 'we') have is that there is no need to do anything. What others haven't realized is that you can save a bundle by *using* the prototype as the production system. It's so much easier than actually finishing the development and testing. Why others industries haven't figured this out is beyond me. Think, for example, of how much less time and money it would cost to develop airplanes if you cut the software budget by a factor of 10.

So, I hope that you will support me in my career change. I believe that it is time to try to really make a difference, and the best way to do that is to go where the action is.

Avi Rubin

Avi Rubin
Associate Professor, Computer Science
Technical Director, Information Security Institute
Johns Hopkins University

Future Chief Security Officer
Diebold Corporation

rubin () jhu edu