Interesting People mailing list archives

more on RIAA & libraries on boston WB

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:22:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: August 3, 2004 6:14:31 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Todd Pinkerton <toddp () geneticmail com>
Subject: Re: [IP] RIAA & libraries on boston WB

Has anyone else had local coverage of this gross injustice?

It would appear so: /. carried a story about this last week, which read in part:

        'cosyne writes "Part of the music industry's recent price fixing
        settlement involves giving free CDs to public libraries. Although
        they are technically complying with the the letter of the law,
        they're abusing the spirit by giving the libraries large piles of
        crud. According to the Stevens Point Journal, '[the] Milwaukee
        Public Library received 1,235 copies of Whitney Houston's 1991
        recording of "The Star-Spangled Banner," 188 copies of Michael
        Bolton's "Timeless," 375 of "Entertainment Weekly: The Greatest
        Hits 1971," and 104 copies of Will Smith's "Willennium."' The
        recording industry obviously wouldn't want to have libraries
        loaning out music that people might otherwise buy." See also a
        related story about shipments to another state.'

See:
        http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/07/25/1539259.shtml?tid=141&tid=123

My sense of things, from reading the comments on /., as well as the links
provided in the article and in followups, is that these aren't isolated
incidents: the music industry appears to be taking advantage of the opportunity to clear out its warehouses, thus solving two problems (the settlement and unsaleable merchandise) at once. Oh, I'm sure one of their paid professional liars will come up with some farsical explanation for this -- in fact, I'll
bet that they blame P2P networks for it. ;-)

---Rsk