Interesting People mailing list archives

more on More Is Not Necessarily Better

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:14:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: eszter.hargittai.082204 () webuse org
Date: August 23, 2004 11:26:54 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on More Is Not Necessarily Better

Hi, for IP perhaps,

A few things regarding the article and the response.

1. Making it sound as though 95% of all searches are being done on the
same two search engines is misleading. Portals powered by Google's
technology don't all show the results the same way as I've shown this
before here:
http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue9_3/hargittai/index.html .
It makes a difference whether someone is at google.com or myway.com. And
so the market share of each site is lower than the authors claim.

2. Not enough data are collected on this point for me to back this up with
figures, but I would argue - having studied users' information-seeking
behavior and Web use sophistication for years - that it's not that easy
for people to switch to another search engine because they do not
necessarily know about viable alternatives.  I realize this sounds
shocking, but believe it or not - I do have data on this - some Internet
users don't even know what a search engine is and nor do they ever use
one.

3. The same search engine acts as a different resource depending on the
user.  My research shows that skilled users are less influenced by the
particular search engines and portals they use than lesser skilled users.
For example, when looking for a certain type of political information
(based on the online actions of 100 randomly selected Internet users
observed in person), those who knew to use multiple terms in their search query were statistically significantly more likely to find the information
than those who did not know to do this REGARDLESS of whether users were
searching on Google or not. What this implies is that some users may not
be that influenced by search engines' decisions about what content to
feature and how - because they have the skills to sidestep them - whereas lesser-skilled users may be more biased by what information search engines
and portals present to them.

Since skill seems to be related to some traditional predictors of Internet use (e.g. level of education), this is what I've called the "second-level digital divide". Despite being connected, some people are able to benefit
from the Web less than others and are more likely to be influenced by
search engines' and portals' decisions about what content to feature
prominently.

(The empirical evidence I refer to is available in my dissertation "How
Wide a Web? Inequalities in Accessing Information Online" Princeton
University 2003.)

These are just some more thoughts to consider on these issues.

Eszter

Eszter Hargittai
Northwestern University
http://www.eszter.com