Interesting People mailing list archives

August 28, 2004 -- Software Freedom Day

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:50:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Olan, Michael" <Michael.Olan () stockton edu>
Date: August 28, 2004 9:45:16 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: August 28, 2004 -- Software Freedom Day

Dave,

Today is the first annual Software Freedom Day.

From their website:

On August 28, 2004, we will celebrate the first annual Software Freedom
Day. On that day, we will make the world aware of the virtues of Free
and Open Source Software (FOSS), and encourage its widespread use. We
will set up stations in public places to give away informational fliers
and CDs with selected FOSS, including TheOpenCD and a Linux Live CD.

This is a global grassroots marketing campaign in which we are inviting
volunteers from around the world to participate. It will be up to the
individual teams to chose how they wish to organize their local PR
efforts. We will assist with bulk production of supplies, though the
cost of supplies must be distributed.

http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/

One of the participants is the International Open Source Network, an
initiative of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and a
Center of Excellence for Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) in the
Asia-Pacific Region.

http://www.iosn.net/

--
Michael Olan