Interesting People mailing list archives

More on: Rendell caves and signs HB30 - Verizon can prevent municipal networks statewide

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:53:15 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gerry Faulhaber <faulhaber () law upenn edu>
Date: December 2, 2004 11:08:42 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] More on: Rendell caves and signs HB30 - Verizon can prevent municipal networks statewide

> I consider this to be a very very important topic and will continue to
> send relevant mailings on it
>
> Dave
>
> ps I am looking for someone who can defend the law

I really hesitate to "defend" a law which I don't like very much.  But there is one point that is lost in all this.  Municipalities have shown themselves
to be very eager to tax the living bejesus out of any private telecom
service to peoples' homes, imposing very high fees for digging up the
streets plus ongoing taxes on revenues for the service.  To cities,
broadband in its various forms is a honeypot, to be milked for every last tax penny (sorry for mixing metaphors).  For example, several years ago the state of Michigan passed legislation forbidding municipalities from levying "unreasonable" right of way fees and revenue taxes on such services, because
they feared this would chill broadband development.  Cable and telephone
firms have struggled to avoid these ruinous taxes.

So how would having a municipal WiFi (or other) network impact this?  Think how much more vigorously a municipality would tax a private-sector service offering competitive with its own service!  In essence, you can write off
any private deployment of broadband (that is not already there) in a
muncipality with its own network; they will be taxed out of existence and we
will be left with a public monopoly.  Now this may be just great if the
municipality runs the network the way "we" think they "should."  But
honestly, how many public monopolies can you think of that are even decent,
much less optimal?  For Philadelphia residents, how would you like a
broadband monopoly run like SEPTA?  Makes you think twice, doesn't it?  If you think this network will be managed like the streets, perhaps you should take a drive on Philadelphia streets some day and tell me if you think this
is a good idea.  And once it's a monopoly, how long do you think it will
take for City Council to start ramping up the fees, in order to meet the
next fiscal crisis?

Prof. Gerry Faulhaber
Wharton School, Univ of Pennsylvania
currently on leave, Penn Law School