Interesting People mailing list archives

The Second Coming of Apple

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 09:41:12 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 05:28:16 -0800
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] The Second Coming of Apple

[Note:  This item comes from reader Monty Solomon.  There are two
separate article cited below, both worth reading if you're into Apple
and its future.  DLH]

From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Date: December 24, 2004 3:48:49 PM PST
Subject: The Second Coming of Apple

The Second Coming of Apple
December 20, 2004
By TIM HANRAHAN AND JASON FRY

Apple Computer has been reborn -- and now it's on the verge of a
renaissance.

Yes, we know Apple's share of the PC market remains little more than
a rounding error: According to market-research company International
Data Corp., its share of PC shipments hovers around 2% in both the
home and commercial sectors, with more than half the commercial
numbers coming from educational sales. But we see a confluence of
events that we think will substantially change some of those numbers,
ushering in an Apple tidal wave that will remake the home PC
landscape.

<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB110313866314201096,00.html>

Readers Weigh In on Apple
And Possibility of 'Halo Effect'
December 23, 2004
By TIM HANRAHAN AND JASON FRY

In Monday's column, we predicted that the combination of the iPod's
popularity and the increasing worry over viruses, security holes and
spyware in Windows PCs will lead to the second coming of Apple
Computer as a home-computing power.

To say that struck a chord would be putting it mildly. Boy, did we
ever get mail -- including a significant number of people who said
that the iPod, Windows security concerns or a combination of the two
had made them switch to a Mac or plan to do so. We also got letters
from readers who disagreed with our hypothesis.

<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB110373871528907298,00.html>

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>

------ End of Forwarded Message