Interesting People mailing list archives

more on DO READ THIS DJF -- Aggressive Searches Pat-down Searches/Sexual Harassment at the Airport

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:11:43 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Barry Steinhardt <bsteinhardt () aclu org>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 12:09:01 -0500
To: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Cc: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] DO READ THIS DJF -- Aggressive Searches Pat-down
Searches/Sexual Harassment at the Airport

Esther,

Happy New Year!

We met with the TSA last week and astoundingly they have no statistics on
how many searches have been conducted at each airport or what the ratio is
between men and women.

They did tell us that the TSA screeners had been told to pick out passengers
with an "unnatural physical form" -- a judgement that seems to be entirely
idiosyncratic, albeit  skewed to women as the screeners seem particularly
focused on breasts.

We have logged a hundred + complaints from flyers around the country. The
TSA admitted last week that they have received 400.  All of ours, so far,
have been from women, who range in age from 23 to 93. Many of them are
business travellers, who report repeated instances of "groping" --the most
frequent word we hear.

My 16 year daughter having read all the news accounts is now refusing to fly
anywhere for vacation. Apparently she is not the only woman to have made
that judgement and the airlines are not happy either.

Please do let me know if you have any troubling experiences.

Best regards,

Barry