Interesting People mailing list archives

Mr. Pulver to D.C.

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 06:37:46 -0500

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:06:17 -0500
From: Richard Shockey <richard () shockey us>
Subject: Re: [IP] Mr. Pulver to D.C.
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com

From: Dave Burstein <dave3 () dslprime com>

With all due respect to Dave

Policy folk - The Pulver FCC story is breaking, but please be cautious. The pricing will mean telcos and cablecos will probably dominate VOIP, not the independents.

That is not necessarily the case ... VoIP is an application on the Internet not a service and with URI addressing of endpoints ... as in sip:rshockey () iptel org you can reach me as easily as you can be e-mail ( yes that is a valid address ).

The PSTN monopoly was in part controlled by their exclusive access to E.164 numbering resources ..this is breaking down first by URI SIP end point addressing second by the deployment of ENUM ..RFC 2916.

Teleco's IMHO cannot engage in cannibalistic behavior. They will not reduce their current revenues streams to fight off the competitive environment...its not in their DNA. Cable Co. however smelling blood will take the LEC's on head to head and probably win up to 30% of the total market share if current stasticts hold firm.

VOIP requires broadband, and Qwest's pricing in the bundle essentially requires buying $25 of Qwest phone service to get DSL. If copied by the cable guys, Vonage and the like will be a niche, not a revolution.

Note also that the access charge issue is $10B, really big.

Actually its $22 Billion total ATT alone has to transfer between $8 and $10 billion in comp to the LEC for call termination.

The flip side is the telcos attempt to raise basic phone rates, state by state and nationally.

That local access rates will rise because the Internet will expose the problems of cross subsidy is inevitable. Subsidies are an error that the Internet will route around.

This will be far more dollars out of consumer pockets for the next few years, and more important to telco profits. Ask me to share data and sources anytime. db

I dont think so .. the pressure of VoIP pricing will drive costs down for all providers. We are on the verge of the true "Death of Distance" for all forms of communications voice included.

I cant wait to see sip:sales () landsend com. I'll call via SIP and place my regular orders orders via VoIP because I know that if I can help reduce the cost of communicating to my preferred vendors by using VoIP they will eventually pass that cost along to me.

The PULVER.COM FWD victory at the FCC was a landmark in the history of communications.

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>