Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Wow... no privacy left, is there?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:19:36 -0500

From: "Meeks, Brock (MSNBCi)" <Brock.Meeks () MSNBC COM>

Okay, I'm no lawyer and I don't even play one on TV, but I've sat through my share of trials and written more words about legal cases than I care to remember. So let's realize this whole DOJ wanting to peek into health records isn't as cut and dried nefarious as it may seem at first blush. And believe me, I'm NO supporter of Ashcroft and the way he is running rough shod over the Constitution. As I understand this case, the DOCTORS in the case are claiming there are definite life saving health reasons for doing late term abortions. And in fact, their court documents site UNNAMED persons and give sketchy details of where such abortions were done to save lives. Well, as we all should know by now, the world of the court room might as well be Mars; it's a different planet inside the court room. Sure it's bound by "laws" but not common sense law that most of the world operates by. So, the fact that the DOCTORS have cited medical procedures and cases but gave no details means the DOCTORS themselves have OPENED THE PRIVACY DOOR. How in the world can the government be expected to prepare its case if it isn't given ALL THE FACTS? And "all the facts" mean they have to have those patient records alluded to the court filings so they can make their own assessment.
Now, we may not like that but it's the doctors that opened the door.
Human rights groups have (rightly) been arguing that the DoJ is conducting trials of alleged terrorists without turning over the FACTS they've only alluded to in court documents. Just as the DoJ should be required to turn over all its evidence, it would seem that in this case, the DoJ request to see the factual information is somewhat justified. Do I agree with allowing the DoJ (or anyone else) from seeing medical records? Of course not, but once you open a door in the courtroom it's awfully hard to shut it after the fact.
--Brock
-----