Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Outsourcing to India: All that glitters, or even glisters, is not gold

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 08:16:58 -0500

From: Steve Cohen <stevecoh1 () comcast net>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Outsourcing to India: All that glitters, or even glisters, is not gold
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:51:04 -0600

Dave,

For a Chief Technology Officer like Mr. Anniballi to refer to his employees as
"monkeys" is totally outrageous.

I am so tired of hearing my profession and skill denigrated by free-trade
ideologues.  I am not a "code monkey" and neither are the offshore workers to
whom jobs are flowing.  I am a skilled professional.  I produce quality work,
which is more than I can say for some of the dreamers who Mr. Aniballi finds
so interesting.

No country can survive on innovation alone.  America's greatness was not built
on innovation alone.  You also have to be able to execute on that innovation.
That's where engineering comes in.  Haven't we just witnessed a boom in which
"creative types" dreamed up all sorts of insane ways of throwing money out
the window pursuing Internet dreams?  Are Americans really ready adopt a
lifestyle that includes as its norm three or four gut-wrenching career
changes in a lifetime?  That is what the Aniballis of the world are rushing
us toward.

It should surprise no one that a backlash is forming against this.