Interesting People mailing list archives

MATRIX - Connect the Dots

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:50:01 -0500

Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 12:46:44 -0500
From: Art Wolinsky <awolinsky () oii org>
Subject: MATRIX - Connect the Dots
To: dave () farber net

For IP if appropriate:

Utah want's to know if MATRIX is a threat to privacy. Well, let's play connect the dots based on my understanding of what's happening.

1) MATRIX is privately run.
2) It was created by Siesient, Inc. of Boca Raton. Siesient was accused of stealing the technology to create it. 3) It was the brain child of Siesient's founder, Hank Asher, who successfully pitched the idea to Florida. 4) Hank Asher was forced to resign from Siesient after it was discovered that he was an ex-drug smuggler who flew Cocaine from Columbia and who testified under immunity to prosecution. 5) The government knew of this drug background at the time the proposal was made but felt that it was unimportant, because he wasn't convicted of anything. 6) Tucked away in the Intelligence Act for 2004 was a new definition of financial institution. It used to be just banks. It is now BROADLY defined to MANY other business. It was passed by voice vote on Thanksgiving and thus avoids any individual accountability for voting. 7) On the day that Saddam was captured, Bush quietly signed the bill. It was a Saturday. When asked about the unusual Saturday signing, the White House explanation was that he signs bills 7 days a week. The ONLY other bill he signed on Saturday was a budget bill to prevent the government from shutting down. 8) Getting back to the definition of financial institutions and other interesting provisions... The FBI can obtain financial information about anyone by issuing a National Security Letter.
9) No on probable cause is required for these letters.
10) No judge is required for these letters.
11) There is no limit on the number of letters they can issue.
12) There is no reporting required of what the letters are used for or how many are issued. 13) If a business receives a letter requesting your financial information, they can't tell you unless they want to face criminal charges. 14) In non-MATRIX states, the FBI would have to issue a significant number of National Security Letters to get information about you from each business. It would seem to me that with MATRIX, a single National Security Letter would cover EVERY financial institution in their database. (I'm not clear on whether this is actually the case.)

While I'm not sure how all of these numbers actually connect and what picture they create, but I'm pretty sure it's not a picture of the government protecting my privacy!

Art