Interesting People mailing list archives

Raids target Kazaa offices

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 09:11:27 -0500

Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 00:20:48 -0500
From: Bob Frankston <rmfxixB1 () bobf frankston com>
Subject: Raids target Kazaa offices
To: dave () farber net

<http://www.iht.com/articles/128531.html>http://www.iht.com/articles/128531.html

The record industry does seem to be getting desperate. Tactics like parading prisoners on TV during the Superbowl and lashing out against a company that's doing a great job with Skype can't help but make me think of what nice people they are. It's the industry invited concepts like Payola. I wonder how many new Kazaas they will spawn.

<http://www.iht.com/cgi-bin/generic.cgi?template=articlesearch.tmpl&dt=articleLocation&location=SYDNEY>SYDNEY<http://www.iht.com/cgi-bin/generic.cgi?template=articlesearch.tmpl&dt=articleLocation&location=SYDNEY> : Investigators from the Australian recording industry raided the Sydney offices of the Internet file-swapping network Kazaa on Friday in search of evidence to support allegations of copyright infringements.
.
The raid was conducted under a rarely used law, known as Anton Pillar, which allows litigants in civil copyright cases to gather evidence.
.
The Federal Court gave record labels permission to raid 12 premises in three states to collect evidence against Kazaa, said Michael Speck, general manager of Music Industry Piracy Investigations.
.
Speck said the recording industry would file a civil action against Kazaa on Tuesday.