Interesting People mailing list archives

DoJ drops antiwar group subpoenas

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:00:56 -0500

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:54:36 -0500
From: Steve Bellovin <smb () research att com>
Subject: DoJ drops antiwar group subpoenas
To: dave () farber net

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/11/national/11PROT.html

Subpoenas on Antiwar Protest Are Dropped
By MONICA DAVEY

Published: February 11, 2004

DES MOINES, Feb. 10 -- Facing growing public pressure from civil
liberties advocates, federal prosecutors on Tuesday dropped subpoenas
that they issued last week ordering antiwar protesters to appear
before a grand jury and ordering a university to turn over information
about the protesters.

The protesters, who had said they feared that the unusual federal
inquiry was intended to silence and scare people who disagreed with
government positions, declared victory.

"We made them want to stop," Brian Terrell, executive director of
the Catholic Peace Ministry here and one of four protesters who
received subpoenas, told a crowd at the federal courthouse. "We're
here to make them want to never let it happen again."

Representatives of the United States attorney for the Southern
District of Iowa, Stephen Patrick O'Meara, declined to comment on
what prompted the reversal. Mr. O'Meara's spokesman, Al Overbaugh,
said he could not comment on information related to grand jury
subpoenas.