Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Gates forecasts victory over spam

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:30:16 -0500

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:25:08 +0000
From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Gates forecasts victory over spam

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:18:12 -0500
From: Michele Fuortes <mfuortes () med cornell edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] : Gates forecasts victory over spam
To: dave () farber net

Dave,

the speech is at:

http://www.microsoft.com/billgates/speeches/2004/01-23undp.asp

Thanks

Michele Fuortes

This seems to be a different speech, about the "UNDP and Microsoft Partnership to Combat Poverty in Developing Nations".

In looking through it to find mention of spam (without success) I came across this little gem of an exchange:

QUESTION: I was wondering if Mr. Gates could clarify what kind of software will be made available and considering that, especially developing countries, have been quite vocal about Linux, if Linux fits in this program at all?

GATES: Well what Microsoft is providing is the software that Microsoft has - it's Windows, Office, the development tools that Microsoft has, all the things that we invest now over six billion dollars a year in pushing forward, and so people who come to these centers have access to the very latest, the very best software.

Obviously in these various centers they'll be adding software from other providers based on whatever they see the demand as.

So there's no exclusivity, but our role is to help with the expertise and curriculum around software that is quite popular and happens to come from Microsoft.

Cheers

Brian Randell

--
School of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK