Interesting People mailing list archives

A visit from the FBI

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:55:52 -0500

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:44:22 +0000
From: Goncalo <goncalo () mail eunet pt>
Subject: For IP: A visit from the FBI
To: dave () farber net

Hello.

This is a very interesting article and a pleasure to read.
For IP if you like.

Regards
Goncalo

Well, it finally happened. Right before Christmas, I had a little visit from
the FBI, writes SecurityFocus columnist Scott Granneman. That's right: an
agent from the Federal Bureau of Investigation came to see me. He had some
things he wanted to talk about. He stayed a couple of hours, and then went on
his way. Hopefully he got what he wanted. I know I did.

Let me explain. I teach technology classes at Washington University in St.
Louis, a fact that I mentioned in a column from 22 October 2003 titled, "Joe
Average User Is In Trouble". In that column, I talked about the fact that
most ordinary computer users have no idea about what security means. They
don't practice secure computing because they don't understand what that
means. After that column came out, I received a lot of email. One of those
emails was from Dave Thomas, former chief of computer intrusion
investigations at FBI headquarters, and current Assistant Special Agent in
Charge of the St. Louis Division of the FBI.

Dave had this to say: "I have spent a considerable amount in the computer
underground and have seen many ways in which clever individuals trick
unsuspecting users. I don't think most people have a clue just how bad things
are." He then offered to come speak to my students about his experiences.

I did what I think most people would do: I emailed Dave back immediately and
we set up a date for his visit to my class.

   .
   .[worth reading djf]
   .

Full article at:   http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/35175.html