Interesting People mailing list archives

Ask IP?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 11:35:06 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Bernard A. Galler" <galler () umich edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:20:02
To:dave () farber net
Subject: Ask IP?

**  From a colleague in my department.  Can someone help here?
Bernie Galler

  I have found it increasingly useful (both for the undergrads in my class as
well as for my own understanding) to refer back to the historical
convergence of logic, neuroscience, and linguistics that surrounded
the merger of automata theory with decidability theory with generative
grammars, etc. into what we now present as the foundations of
computer science.

I'm having trouble finding a decent historical account - i.e. one that
is broad (not limited to say Godel's theorem or mathematical logic
alone) but theoretically oriented (not focused primarily on the
computer engineering efforts of the early 20th century).

  Do you have any good candidates?

--
Bernard A. Galler
E-mail:  galler () umich edu