Interesting People mailing list archives

OUTSOURCING OUTRAGE GOING OUT OF STYLE

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:38:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: July 14, 2004 3:11:48 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] OUTSOURCING OUTRAGE GOING OUT OF STYLE

OUTSOURCING OUTRAGE GOING OUT OF STYLE

The clamor against the outsourcing to India of computer software and
back-office services appears to have faded substantially. Infosys chief
executive Nandan M. Nilekani says: "The backlash against outsourcing has
abated, customer spending is on the rise, and we have redesigned ourselves internally to take advantage of the vast opportunities." According to Sunil
Mehta of India's leading software industry trade body: "The debate about
outsourcing appears to have moved from an emotional, anecdotal, job-losses plane to a more sober, balanced one about the advantages of globalization of services." Ironically, the anti-outsourcing clamor in the U.S. has actually turned out to be good for the outsourcing business. Partha Iyengar, research
director for Gartner explains: "The backlash proved a gold mine of free
publicity for Indian outsourcing companies," and the U.S.-based CEO of iGate Global Solutions (operates in Bangalore, India) says: "The backlash issue
made outsourcing so mainstream that even my barber was speaking
knowledgeably about outsourcing." (New York Times 14 Jul 2004)

<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/14/business/worldbusiness/ 14infosys.html>

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>