Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Fascinating Airline Security Story

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:40:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Barry Steinhardt <Bsteinhardt () aclu org>
Date: July 20, 2004 2:13:09 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Fascinating Airline Security Story

Dave,

Speaking of airline security :: Here is the letter that the ACLU sent today to Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge,  asking him to clarify his comments  and reported "stake in the heart gesture "about the CAPPS II passenger profiling system and what has become of the passenger records already collected by DHS.

 Barry Steinhardt

 Dear Secretary Ridge,
 We welcome your announcement that that the CAPPS II passenger profiling
 program is going to be terminated. However, we remain deeply concerned
about the fate of the large amounts of personal information about Americans citizens and others that DHS has already collected. We are also concerned that some Administration officials have hinted that the program will not be
 completely terminated.
 During a June 23rd hearing David Stone, Acting Administrator of the
Transportation Security Administration, told the Senate Government Affairs Committee that the TSA has collected passenger information from Delta Air Lines, Continental Airlines, America West Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and the Galileo and Sabre reservation systems. (See, for example, “TSA: Airlines Gave Gov’t Passenger Data,” Associated Press, June 23, 2004). Previously, it was disclosed that personal data regarding passengers had been obtained by
 the Federal Government from Northwest and Jet Blue Airlines.
As you are no doubt aware, the maintenance by the government of files on the innocent travel and associational activities of American citizens and others, collected without their knowledge or consent, raises numerous serious
 privacy issues – especially when those files are maintained for law
enforcement purposes. It was in that spirit, for example, that Congress in the Privacy Act of 1974 banned the maintenance of dossiers on individuals not
 involved in wrongdoing.
We also ask that you clarify comments by other Homeland Security officials that seem to indicate that CAPPS II may reappear in another guise. Although you indicated to USA Today last Thursday that CAPPS II will be killed with
 “a stake through its heart,”others have said that the program will be
“reshaped and repackaged” (David Stone testifying before Congress) or both
 dead in its original form and to be reshaped (Homeland Security
 spokeswoman Suzanne Luber quoted by WashingtonPost.com ). We
 therefore would like to respectfully inquire:

(i) is personal information collected for CAPPS II testing purposes being retained, and if so for what purpose and in what form will it be retained?;
 (ii) has any other data from Passenger Name Record (PNR) files been
collected or used in the testing of CAPPS II and, if so, what use was made of
 that data and will it be maintained beyond the testing period? and
(iii) what data does TSA intend to collect from future passengers, and what
 does it propose to do with it?
 Thank you for your consideration of these questions. We look forward to
 hearing from you.
 Sincerely,
 Barry Steinhardt
 Director