Interesting People mailing list archives

Microsoft and open source: 2 notes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:26:21 -0400

Date: July 21, 2004 3:18:50 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Microsoft and open source

[Note:  This item comes from reader Wendy Wigen.  DLH]

From: "Wendy Wigen" <wwigen () educause edu>
Date: July 21, 2004 7:31:53 AM PDT
To: "Dewayne Hendricks" <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Microsoft and open source

HP MEMO SHOWS MICROSOFT PLANNED OPEN-SOURCE PATENT FIGHT HP sought to distance itself yesterday from a June 2002 memo in which an HP executive said Microsoft planned to use patents as the basis for a legal attack on open-source software. The memo was written as Linux began to emerge from relative obscurity to become an increasingly popular alternative to Microsoft's proprietary operating system.

<http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5276901.html>

[Note:  This comment comes from reader Brian Berg.  DLH]