Interesting People mailing list archives

TIVO'S EXPANSION PLANS OPPOSED BY COPYRIGHT HOLDERS

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:16:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: July 22, 2004 12:26:43 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] TIVO'S EXPANSION PLANS OPPOSED BY COPYRIGHT HOLDERS

[Note: No surprises here. The MPAA pulled this same stunt with ReplayTV and drove that company off the map. I fail to understand why TiVo didn't seem to learn anything from that lesson. DLH]

TIVO'S EXPANSION PLANS OPPOSED BY COPYRIGHT HOLDERS

     In filings with the Federal Communications Commission, Hollywood
studios and other creators of digital content are trying to block the maker
of TiVo television recording devices from letting users watch copies of
shows and movies on devices outside their homes. TiVo wants to expand its system next year to allow programs to be transferred to registered devices outside the home -- such as at an office, vacation cabin, or friend's house. The Movie Picture Association of America opposes this plan, and its general counsel says: "Our concern is grounded in the fact that the remote access is
not limited to the recipient's summer home or boat or office. The people
that can receive the programming can be totally unrelated in any place on
the globe." (Washington Post 21 Jul 2004)

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A4042-2004Jul21.html>

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>