Interesting People mailing list archives

more on It seems that even "secure" financial transactions with Internet Explorer aren't safe

From: dave () farber net
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 11:27 -0400

___

Dave Farber  +1 412 726 9889

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: Peter G Capek <capek () us ibm com>
To: dave () farber net, geodog () cyberdude com
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 10:42:57 -0400
Subj: Re: [IP] It seems that even "secure" financial transactions with
Internet Explorer aren't safe

Seems to me that the more interesting question is how a .gif file morphs
into something other than an image...  Apparently, this was achieved
through the use of the ".chm" exploit. another known IE problem.   It
seems, then, that no advice of the form "don't download or execute xxx
files or view xxx web pages" is
safe.  Only Ken Thompson's "Don't trust any software that wasn't ENTIRELY
created by someone you trust" (my paraphrase) dictum is worth anything.
And that's a hard thing to do in practice, of course.

              Peter Capek

Peter G. Capek
IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center
Yorktown Heights, NY   10598-0218
(+1 914) 945-1250       IBM Tieline: 8-862-1250            Fax:  X 4426