Interesting People mailing list archives

more on WORTH THINKING ABOUT: THE SORRY STATE OF SCIENCE EDUCATION

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:55:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jock Gill <jock () jockgill com>
Date: July 7, 2004 11:21:30 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on WORTH THINKING ABOUT: THE SORRY STATE OF SCIENCE EDUCATION

Dave,

A couple of interesting questions along this topic:

1] What does it take to add enough value to justify a $10/hr wage? $15/hr? Remember that agricultural employment peaked in about 1918 at 40+%.

2] Is our economy creating enough jobs that will support these $10 - $15 dollar an hour wages that add more than $10 - $15 dollars of value? At what price point do we export moderate level value creating jobs?

3] Are we as a culture creating people able to add enough value to warrant $15 hour jobs? Isn't this what Cosby is actually talking about? What are the factors involved in creating a demographic that may be incapable of adding enough value to justify a $15 hour wage? How big might this demo be?

4] Is this an inevitable result when we depend so much on an economy driven by consumption and celebrity and success appears to be mostly measured by dollars?

Curious.

Jock