Interesting People mailing list archives

more on New Yorker's Hertzberg on Nader: "Reckless Driver"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:43:54 -0700

Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 22:02:29 -0500
From: mnemonic <mnemonic () well com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on New Yorker's Hertzberg on Nader: "Reckless Driver"
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: alberti () sanction net

From: Bob Alberti <alberti () sanction net>
To: dave () farber net
Cc: themail () newyorker com

In the baseball of politics, the Two-Party System has bought the stadium,
the broadcast rights, the teams, and the sponsors. Anyone who doesn't want
to play baseball will be locked out. Like Nader, they will be scapegoated
and vilified by those protecting their interests.

Dear Dave,

There's no question that the two-party system in the United States is flawed in a number of ways. Analysts as far back as Woodrow Wilson have noted that the parliamentary form of government is far more democratic. (See Wilson's milestone book on this subject, CONGRESSIONAL GOVERNMENT.)

Bob Alberti, however, makes the classic mistake of conflating criticisms of the two-party system with somewhat confused notions of how third parties tend to affect our system. The general rule is: an insurgent third party's involvement in a presidential election tends to skew that election's outcome to the *party whose politics is most opposed to the third party's.*

We saw this not only in 2000 (where Nader made a point of seeking dissident Democrats in "swing" states rather than in strongly Democratic or Republican states), but also in 1992 (Ross Perot pulled votes away from George H.W. Bush, enabling Clinton to win with a plurality), in 1980 (John Anderson was taking votes away from Carter until the final weeks of the campaign), and in 1968 (George Wallace took big chunks of what was then the southern Democrat vote, which generally supported the Democratic Party agenda except on race-related issues).

Famously, Wilson himself was a beneficiary of the third-party effect, because Teddy Roosevelt's Bull Moose Party (created as a vehicle for Roosevelt to seek a third term) attracted Republican voters away from William Howard Taft.

We may all agree that a system that leads to such results when insurgent third parties arise and articulate issues better (at least according to some voters) than the two major parties is a system that needs reform. (Like Wilson, I favor parliamentary democracy over congressional democracy, at least at the theoretical level.) What we also know, however, is that a presidential election is not the best vehicle for third parties to push their agendas -- they tend to lead to the election of those whose agendas are most antithetical to their own.

Hertzberg's point, of course, is that this is one of the ironies of the 2000 election. If one percent of those who voted for Nader in Florida in 2000 had voted instead to prevent George Bush from being elected, then the Administration that is currently presiding over the dismantling of nearly every Nader-led reform would not have come to power. It seems that Nader cares more about competing with the Democrats than about preserving his public-policy legacy.

Bob Alberti's attacks on Gore and the Democrats (which are recitations of Naderites' version of the conventional wisdom on this topic) don't make the preceding paragraph any less true.

Finally, it should be noted that Gore's supposedly deficient campaign, confronted with the problem of running against Bush on the right and Nader on the left, nevertheless won a majority of the popular vote (or a plurality, depending on how you count), and the campaign was responsible for putting Florida in play (for months it had been assumed that Florida, governed by George Bush's brother Jeb, was certain to go Republican). Gore came from 10-or-more-point gap in the polls, which he labored under for months -- constrained by campaign-law spending limitations that the Bush campaign had sidestepped -- and brought the race to a statistical dead heat. This is actually a pretty impressive accomplishment..

--Mike

--
"I speak the password primeval .... I give the sign of democracy ...."
           --Walt Whitman