Interesting People mailing list archives

Disney Forbidding Distribution of Film That Criticizes Bush

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 12:57:16 -0400

From: Hiawatha Bray <hbray () mailblocks com>

Oh no!  The horrors of media concentration!  Aieeee!!!

Cry me a river, dude.  Ever hear of Mel Gibson?  He just released a little
movie you may have heard of, something to do with Jesus?

Every studio in Hollywood declared they wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
So Gibson released it independently.  And guess what?  It ran up nearly $400
million at the box office.  Why?  Because people wanted to see it.

It's simple as that.  If people want to see it, it'll get seen.   In this
multimedia age, you can't really suppress any film, book, song or anything
else that people really want to see.

I have no doubt there's an audience for this Michael Moore movie.  The guy's
books sell like hotcakes, after all, and his last film did quite well.  So
somebody will distribute it, or Moore will do it himself.  And it'll do just
fine, whether Disney handles it or not.

If this is the worst example of the evils of media concentration, we can all
relax.

Hiawatha Bray
Boston Globe