Interesting People mailing list archives

Citibank Security Update/spoof

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 20:35:39 -0400

Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 14:33:47 -0700
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Citibank Security Update/spoof
Sender: dewayne-net () warpspeed com
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This item comes from reader Sally Richards.  DLH]

From: "Sally Richards" <Sally () SallyRichards com>
Date: May 6, 2004 2:03:50 PM PDT
To: dewayne () warpspeed com
Subject: Citibank Security Update/spoof

Hi Dewayne:
Just wanted to forward this to you. I am a Citibank customer, and I
received three of these in one day, which is rare because I just don't
get
spam, especially from my bank (they send loads of it in the post, and
sell
my phone number to their affiliates instead). I called Citibank and
they
said it was a hoax, I asked them why they hadn't sent out a notice to
their customers saying that someone had done a spoof. They guy
basically
told me not to worry about it. I called up a reporter here in the San
Diego area named John Mattes who said their emails were flooded with
the
same email - Citibank and non-Citibank customers. He said he called up
the
Citibank fraud department and they said that they were aware of it, but
basically didn't feel like they had to deal with it. He said it had
been
going out for weeks. As a Citibank customer, who is now looking for
another bank because of this spoofing issue and Citybank's
lackadaisical
response, I thought it might be of interest to your readers. Just in
case
it didn't show up, there was a "real" Citibank ad at the top of the
email.
 It looks like the link is dead today, but it was working a few days
ago
and it would be interesting to know if there was any actual
transferring
of funds through this fraudulent spoof.
Cheers,
Sally
Citibank

Dear Valued Customer, - Our new security system will help you to avoid
frequently fraud transactions and to keep your investments in safety. -
Due to technical update we recommend you to reactivate your account.
Click
on the link below to login and begin using your updated Citibank
account.
To log into your account, please visit the online banking
http://web.da-us.citibank.com&BVP=/cgi-bin/citifi/scripts/ &M=S&US&_u=visitor
If you have questions about your online statement, please send us a
Bank
Mail or call us at 1-800-374-9700 We appreciate your business. It's
truly
our pleasure to serve you. Citibank Customer Care This email is for
notification only. To contact us, please log into your account and
send a
Bank Mail.

Sally () SallyRichards com • 760.788.0575 • www.SallyRichards.com
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/business/3982679.htm

Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a
thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.
- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>