Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Attempts at overthrowing the teaching of evolution gathering steam

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:44:03 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-0406 () bobf frankston com>
Date: November 8, 2004 5:27:36 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: 'Robert Berger' <rberger () ibd com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Attempts at overthrowing the teaching of evolution gathering steam

First, check out and support http://www.ncseweb.org -- National Center for Science in education.

This is a topic I need to write about in far more depth. When my son studied biology in High School in Newton Ma I was appalled to find that the teacher taught evolution but didn't understand the process.

This is an endemic problem because we teach evolution in biology classes. Biology is too complex to teach hard sciences. So evolution comes across just as another stupid and wrong rhyme like "ontology recapitulates phylogeny".

Evolution is really an emergent property of any complex system that can regenerate success and quench failure. It's easiest to think of these as digital systems though it's tautological. Scale and perturbation are part of the mix.

How can you understand the Internet and make rational policy decisions if you can't understand the concept of stable systems arising from and even requiring disorder at the level below (in order to provide opportunity and solutions already available). More troubling to mean is that it separates meaning from the underlying layers.

It's only a small step to observe that DNA just another digital system.

What upset people about Darwin was not the idea that things charge or evolve, just that there is no designer controlling it. That's the real disagreement. The lack of specialness is part of this -- Copernicus already displaced them from the center.

This is very troubling for those, as Lakoff points out, whose world is hierarchical with a super-father in charge.

The problem is not only whether or not evolution is taught -- it's also that we are still teaching evolution using 19th century models. Even if we get past the notion of directed evolution (progress) we are still stuck with the idea of complexity.

I argue that evolution doesn't create complex systems. Each step is simple -- we just don't recognize the simplicity. For those of us who architect systems we know how important the right decomposition is and there isn't just a single one.

Seymour Papert has pointed out the importance of the "powerful idea" which doesn't necessarily follow from reasoning. Instead it's an opportunity we take advantage of. If the brain is capable of a given operation then we make use of it.

Without the notions of opportunity, decompositions and emergent properties we are stuck with arbitrary and seeming inexplicable (thus magical) complexity. Biology, as science, is a messy landscape in which those seeking to confirm there theories found plenty of ambiguity. This makes it difficult to isolate evolutionary processes and provides shelter to those who are seek confirmation of their beliefs rather new understanding.

We can't afford to make the "theory" of evolution subservient to the vagaries of biology.

The other liability is that this is all being judged by lawyers who are often self-selected for "people-people" rather than technologists. I remember when I did take a joint seminar with Harvard Law and the problem of getting techies interested. In dealing with legal issues now I find it a profession bound by medieval baggage of its own.

At least with the tax code one can argue with the IRS but the legal system is much more perverse and hierarchical.

Well, that's a quick and short set of comments -- I really do need to explore this in full.

I would also like to figure out how I can help. If we have to identify a single issue which separates those who understand complex issues and those who simply have the trappings of modernity it's understanding how systems survive -- that's really all evolution is about.

I'm curious -- is evolution "play" in Moslem countries

PS: While trying to write this I had to reboot and thought I might've lost this letter. Luckily Word has evolved mechanisms to checkpoint files -- that's the result of repeated trauma requiring such resilience for survival. But ultimately the problems are due to being at the mercy of a very hierarchical model of computing. Hierarchies resist evolutionary processes.

And, no, Linux is not magically better -- it is a close cousin and lacks the tools I depend upon.