Interesting People mailing list archives

Author Says Offshoring 'Real WMD' for U.S.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:19:34 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Venkata Pingali <pingali () ISI EDU>
Date: November 1, 2004 4:14:21 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Author Says Offshoring 'Real WMD' for U.S.

Hi,

There are couple of more reinforcing trends:

(a) as quality of life improves in places such as India and China, individuals from these countries in whom the US has invested are also moving to their native countries taking with them intellectual capital that would compete with that in the US

(b) as wallstreet firms bring more venture capital approaches and real money to these countries (to keep their profits going), the infrastructureand services that made business ventures easy in the valley will be replicated elsewhere, chipping away at the source of competitive strength.

Let me give you a concrete example of this: I am familiar with an ongoing research effort in the US to design networks for resource poor environments. It has been in progress for few (4?) years. There is a prototype and demonstration. In the last few days I talked to a person working with a small company in India who arrived at the same research problem while trying to create internet-based services in India. He is investing in a small research venture to build products based on his ideas for a solution (knowing him I wouldnt write off his ideas). One should not be surprised if his product is out there in the market even before the research grant for the US based group is exhausted. The group in India atleast consists of a couple of phds from US and a guy with a decade of research experience. While the real critical problems may not be solved by this product-driven semi-research group, the fact is that the bar for research has definitely increased.

-Venkata