Interesting People mailing list archives

more on book burnings are next...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:43:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: November 12, 2004 5:54:40 PM EST
To: h_bray () globe com
Cc: lauren () vortex com, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on book burnings are next...

How is it book burning to mandate that more information be provided,
rather than less? Seems like the very opposite of book burning to me...

Hiawatha,

Hi. Dave didn't say it was like book burning, he said book burning could
be next.  And indeed, it's much the same folks who would completely
exclude teaching of evolution (and I'd call that effectively "book
burning") who are pushing religion into biology classes.

If someone wants to have a comparative religion class I think that's
a fine idea, so long as it's reasonably balanced.  But religion
has no place in biology or other hard sciences.  Even letting it
in a crack is the opening that the monkey trial folks are looking for.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy