Interesting People mailing list archives

2 more on book burnings are next...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:24:10 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Simon Higgs <simon () higgs com>
Date: November 14, 2004 2:13:24 AM EST
To: Tom Fairlie <tfairlie () frontiernet net>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on book burnings are next...

Hi Tom,

Well context is everything. Public schools do not function effectively, especially if we use LAUSD as a benchmark. My assumption that faith is a logical conclusion of study and learning comes from observation. But then again, so do a whole pile of other things. Faith is not the exclusive result of study and learning. Maybe we don't have the same definition of the word "faith".

Faith is a presumption - a hypothesis - that builds over time based on either an expected outcome or tangible results. It may be totally wrong and part of something else - like denial, or it may be totally accurate and can be proven. But faith is a place where one can extend his/her trust. That may be atheism. Or it maybe religion. Or it may be a theorem. Or it may be that tonight's date will show up. We'll leave the ballot box out of this for now. ;-) But one thing that becomes clear is that faith is relational. It's between you and something outside of your immediate control. For some it's a personal relationship with their deity. For others it's a relationship with the gas in their gas tank and whether it will get them home.

Let me address the loving, caring, atheists. I know some. I know others that are not. Same goes for Christians. So what? People are people. Yes, behavior is an outworking of their beliefs but it's not the exclusive outworking. We have choices we make every day. Some are good and some are bad. Reputations get built by how those choices are perceived not how they were actually executed. As an Anglo-American, I think Jimmy Carter has been one of the best US presidents, but what he did that made him great has, to a certain extent, been kept hidden (and in some cases classified). He was seen as weak because he chose not to bluster around like Reagan.

So, back to choice. Public schools have an absolute mandate to teach one thing and one thing only. And that is simply how to learn. If it fails that small task, then the rest of the reading, 'riting, and 'riffmatic being taught is a complete waste of time. So is every other class or elective. I know, I've been there.

So what does learning actually mean? What is so special about learning that teaching can't provide? Look at the test scores across the country. Learning involves assimilating information. The core of learning to learn is to be able to evaluate and determine the value of the information being presented. Context. There's one tremendous benefit - the elimination of fear of the subject matter. So Christianity is a history lesson. Islam is a history lesson. Terrorism is a current affairs lesson. And yes, math is still boring. I was taught Islam, Hinduism, Christianity and other subjects at school, at the taxpayer's expense. What is the big deal?

Spiritual knowledge exists. It's just that, knowledge. But people are so afraid of it. So they ban the books from schools. They ban the prayer. What exactly are they afraid of? Turning that knowledge into a living breathing relationship with a supreme being? God asking them personally to be a missionary? Becoming accountable for one's own actions? Repenting of doing things that we thought were actually cool to do? Becoming enslaved to an out-of-control organization disguised as a religion? The Bogeyman? So much for allowing the individual their own choice, because the public schools won't allow it.

It's knowledge that brings you through each of these situations. If you don't have the knowledge, you don't have the choices. If Jim Jones were around today, would you drink the Kool-Aid? Have you learnt something from that? Today, I would have a piece of advice for Martin Luther King from what I've learnt. I'd tell him to duck. Maybe if Jesse Jackson had been assassinated he too would be a great man today. But no, we see the real man, warts and all. Why? Because we have the additional knowledge.

What are public schools rejecting when they reject ID? Isaac Newton's "Philosophiæ naturalis Principia Mathematica" for one. He did so well too. So what are the public schools going to say if he was around today? 'Sorry Isaac, your math is totally bogus because you started ranting on that we "must be all subject to the dominion of One" and then you started talking about "my God, your God, the God of Israel". How could you be so irresponsible to our public school children? So we reject your so-called gravity.'

This is history. This is science. This is philosophy. This is faith. It's all the same thing, just from different angles and points of view. You can't separate out the bits that you personally find uncomfortable. That is bad science.

I'm really not sure I'm worthy of inspiring someone to change for the better. I'd love to be a great example, but I know me well enough to know I have little confidence in that. Faith, spirituality, and beliefs are going to live or die on their own merits. I have mine and I'm going to stick with them. The science and math works out.

"Hitherto we have explained the phenomena of the heavens and of our sea by the power of gravity, but have not yet assigned the cause of this power." - Isaac Newton, Philosophiæ naturalis Principia Mathematica

Best Regards,

Simon

Begin forwarded message: