Interesting People mailing list archives

In the cloakroom of Internet Taxation

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:58:34 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Meeks, Brock (MSNBCi)" <Brock.Meeks () MSNBC COM>
Date: November 15, 2004 3:49:17 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: In the cloakroom of Internet Taxation

Dave:

A letter from a group calling itself the Consumer Internet Access Coalition (see list of signatories at end of this message) went to the House today in support of Senate-passed legislation to continue the moratorium on Internet taxation.

 Here's the letter:

November 15, 2004

Dear Speaker Hastert:

As representatives of America's consumers and cable, manufacturing, Internet, technology, telecommunications, and wireless industries, we urge you to take up and pass S. 150, the Internet Tax Non-Discrimination Act before the 108th Congress adjourns.

The moratorium expired a year ago, and if Congress adjourns without passing S. 150, further delay will expose American consumers to new taxes.  In some states and localities, telephone-like taxes exceeding 15% per month could be imposed upon Internet access.

The United States should be the worldwide leader in Internet usage, and national policies that promote universal access to broadband will help us take our rightful position as the world's innovation leader. The technology sector is willing to invest billions more in high-speed broadband Internet access but taxes that impede consumer demand for access and the inconsistent application of state taxes on new technologies are a roadblock to those new investments.

We urge the House to protect consumers from new tax burdens by passing S. 150 and sending it to the President for his signature.

 Alcatel
ALLTEL
Amazon.com
American Corn Growers Association
American Electronics Association
AT&T
BellSouth Corp.
Business Roundtable
CapNet
CIENA
Cingular
Comcast
CompTIA
Consumer Electronics Association
Corning Inc.
CTIA-The Wireless Association(tm)
Direct Marketing Association
eBay, Inc.
The Hispanic Telecommunications and Technology   Partnership
Level 3 Communications
National Association of Manufacturers
National Black Chamber of Commerce
National Cable & Telecommunications Association
NCR Corp.
Nortel Networks
SBC
Semiconductor Industry Association
Software & Information Industry Association Sprint
Telecommunications Industry Association
Texas Instruments
Time Warner, Inc.
U.S. Chamber of Commerce