Interesting People mailing list archives

Philadelphia to fight ban on municipal networks

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:16:26 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: November 20, 2004 8:10:12 AM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Philadelphia to fight ban on municipal networks

[Note:  This item comes from friend Esme Vos of MuniWireless.com.  DLH]

Philadelphia to fight ban on municipal networks

Dianah Neff, chief information officer for the city of Philadelphia, posted this comment to my last article about the passage of House Bill 30 (see <http://www.muniwireless.com/archives/000503.html>) prohibiting municipalities from delivering telecoms services. I did not want her comment to be "lost" in the comments section so here it is:

"This afternoon, Nov. 19, 2004, the Pennsylvania House and Senate passed HB 30 without amendment to the prohibition against government entities or any agency or non-profit set up by a government from providing broadband access for a fee.

The City of Philadelphia intends to aggressively pursue a veto of the Bill. The bill as it stands is not good for Philadelphia or the State of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia is ranked as the 33 most wired or wireless City in the U.S. With the implementation of Wireless Philadelphia, the City would have moved into the top 3 cities in the country. With just the announcement to create a business plan and funding model to implement Wireless Philadelphia, we have generated world-wide interest and support.

Today less than 60 percent of the city's neighborhoods even have the option to subscribe to high-speed broadband (DSL or cable modem). The City believes adamantly that any citizen or business should have the opportunity to compete in this global, knowledge economy regardless of a neigborhood's economic status or area household density. Affordable, universal access benefits everyone.

The City intends to agressively pursue getting the Governor to veto the Bill. Should that fail, we will actively pursue other options of ensuring universal, affordable broadband access for every citizen, non-profit, business and tourist in Philadelphia."

Note: Read my articles about Scottsburg and Auburn, two communities in Indiana, that decided to deploy their own networks.
No broadband, no jobs <http://www.muniwireless.com/archives/000506.html>
Scottsburg, Indiana wireless network saves the community <http://www.muniwireless.com/archives/000315.html>

The interests of service providers like Verizon do not always coincide with the needs and desires of communities. This is why municipalities need to have the option of building their own networks and providing service.

Posted by Muniwireless November 20, 2004

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>