Interesting People mailing list archives

An Open Challenge...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 14:25:58 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Arnie Rowland <Arnie () 1568 com>
Date: November 6, 2004 2:08:14 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: An Open Challenge...

To the IP Community.

This, like the country, is a divided community. After the elections, some feel heady success, and others, dismal failure. But, in common, I think that
we are all struggling to understand what is happening to cause such a
schism, and what can be done to repair and re-unite. Those of us over a
certain age that grew up in the United States shared a meaningful
experience. In school, every day, with our hands over our hearts, we pledged our faith to a country ‘undivided’. Those that adopted this country made the same pledge in their rites of citizenship. We now have to face the challenge to stand up for our pledge, or accept that our allegiance was meaningless. It is time to get involved for the community and the country –regardless of your ‘political’ party identification. The kind of involvement I’m talking
about isn’t Red or Blue, Republican or Democrat –but American.

I have a suggestion that I will put forward for the community. If we were to
drop the inflammatory ‘labels’ (‘left wing liberals’, ‘progressives’,
‘brain-dead conservatives’, etc.), clichés, and trite, denigrating phrases, I think that we could have a more meaningful exchange. There is so much that
we have in common, and we (all Americans) need to talk it out. Everyone
seems so entrenched in their ‘positions’, and buttressed by their favorite
‘catch phrases’ –they aren’t listening to each other any more.

As some have said, and so many of us are aware, our country is in real
danger. And the greatest danger comes from within. People’s fears are being
exploited in order for the moneyed and powerful interests to consolidate
their control (Fears of terrorism, racism, bigotry, loss of employment, loss of ‘freedom’). This exploitation serves no interests for the ‘people’, it
has no ‘party’ loyalty (only to those in power at the moment). And it is
destroying the country by pitting good minded and well meaning folks against each other –when if fact, our interests are more alike than different. This derision and division keeps the populace from discovering their commonality
and extolling against the exploitation.

My plan for the next four years is to engage with folks of all political
persuasions and try to find common grounds to move our political discussions forward in a way that is ultimately good for the country and for each of us. I’ve long held the belief that if two people would only listen, and truly
listen, to each other, both will be changed as a result.

When I send someone an article, I trust that that they cut though the trite and denigrating catch phrases and get to the true ‘meat’ of the exposition.
For example, Jane Smile’s recent article was about how good minded,
god-fearing, religious folks are having their religiosity used to exploit
them. Hiawatha Bray’s article was about moving on, taking personal
responsibility for not gloating in success, and equally, taking personal
responsibility for failing to be successful. There are many good writers out
there, from all sides of the discussion. (And of course, there are those
that seem to derive their satisfaction, and income, from fanning the flames of anger and hatred. Some will say and write anything to keep the discussion
away from the ‘real’ issues.)

I’m suggesting that we each give the other room to exchange thoughts and
ideas, perhaps not well formed –even half baked. That we each offer the
other writings from those that would seem to resonate with us, hoping that the other isn’t inflamed by the rhetoric, but able to cut through the catch
phrases and derive the underlying meaning. After all, Swift’s Gulliver’s
Travels was biting political satire disguised as a child’s story. For
meaningful changes to occur, we have to engage with each other, opening
ourselves to the possibility of really learning what concerns the other and
therefore becoming invested in the other’s plight. Who knows, even
‘friendship’, the kind where you can talk politics, disagree, and still
enjoy dinner together –may develop.

This is my opening, I hope you jump in.

Arnie Rowland, PhD
WestWood Consulting, Inc
arnie () 1568 com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/.DlolB/TM

    HCPCommunity-unsubscribe () yahoogroups com

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/