Interesting People mailing list archives

Administration Science Report

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:31:58 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: fyi () aip org
Date: October 21, 2004 4:23:50 PM EDT
To: farber () CENTRAL CIS UPENN EDU
Subject: FYI #140: Administration Science Report

FYI
The American Institute of Physics Bulletin of Science Policy News
Number 140: October 21, 2004

Administration Report on "Science for the 21st Century"

The National Science and Technology Council has released a 40-page
document entitled "Science for the 21st Century."  The report,
released this summer, provides an overview of the Bush
Administration's perspective on the federal science enterprise, its
major responsibilities, and illustrative programs.

The National Science and Technology Council (NSTC) was established
by executive order during President Bill Clinton's first year in
office.  Both the Bush and Clinton Administrations describe the
council as a "virtual" cabinet-level coordinating agency for federal
science and technology programs.   The NSTC has produced various
reports, such as the recent "The Physics of the Universe: A
Strategic Plan for Federal Research at the Intersection of Physics
and Astronomy" (see http://www.aip.org/fyi/2004/075.html ).

In an accompanying cover letter, OSTP Director John Marburger
explained that "This report presents the critical responsibilities
of our Federal science enterprise and the actions taken by the
Federal research agencies, through the National Science and
Technology Council, to align our programs with scientific
opportunity and with national needs."   There is precedent for this
type of document, an example being a report released by the Clinton
administration in 1996 with somewhat similar overarching goals (see
http://www.aip.org/fyi/1996/fyi96.158.htm ).

The new report explains in a way that will be easily understood by a
lay audience the Bush Administration's general science policy and
examples of how this policy is implemented.  It begins by making the
case for federal investment in R&D, outlines the desirability of
interdisciplinary research and collaboration, describes the need for
excellence in S&T education and the workforce, and discusses
management accountability.  Under the title, "Science in This
Administration," the report states: "This Administration has, as a
first priority, responded to the urgent need to combat terrorism and
safeguard homeland and national security.  Second, together with
security we must ensure continued economic growth, both in the short
term and in setting the stage for innovations and technologies that
will ensure our nation's future growth and prosperity.  We must also
take steps to maintain and increase the quality of American life -
sufficient, affordable health care; affordable and abundant supplies
of energy; and a healthy environment now and into the future."

Four major responsibilities - promoting discovery, responding to
national challenges, developing technologies, and
education/workforce development - are identified as the four major
responsibilities of the Federal science enterprise.  Six- to
eight-page chapters with brief science program descriptions comprise
the remainder of the report, which concludes with a chapter entitled
"A Shared Vision." It states, "Science has always been a national
priority.  The Federal research enterprise has enjoyed non-partisan
support since the Second World War, and the benefits of this
scientific research are well recognized."  Information on the report
is at http://www.ostp.gov/nstc/21stcentury/index.html

Richard M. Jones
Media and Government Relations Division
The American Institute of Physics
fyi () aip org    http://www.aip.org/gov
(301) 209-3094

If you no longer wish to receive this content alert for each issue,
please send a blank e-mail to fyi-signoff-request () listserv aip org.