Interesting People mailing list archives

domain attacked last night

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:54:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: James M Galvin <galvin () elistx com>
Date: October 26, 2004 11:32:16 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: domain attacked last night

Your domain was attacked last night, a dictionary attack looking for
recipients.

Although I manage a private blacklist I do not subject hosted domains to
it.  However, in order to mitigate the attack I was forced to use the
blacklist when processing your email.

It is possible that some people sending you email will find themselves
blocked, since the blacklist I maintain and use personally is an
aggregate of all IP addresses that attack all the domains I host.

I will need to leave it in place until I see the attack stats drop off;
then I'll remove it.

I will be moving to domain-based blacklists in the not to distant
future.  This will take care of any future problems of this sort quite
nicely.

Jim